Saturday, November 30, 2013

New Car!

Hi friends,

Today I am going to get my new car.  I'm very excited.

Before I tell you about my new car, let me show you my baby card creation.


I typically don't buy a new car.  Here I am 50 years old and this is my third new car in my life.    I usually get a low mileage used car, but this time I got a great deal on last years model so I am getting brand new this time.  Yeah!

You may be wondering - why are you getting a new car in late November?  Well, there is a very good reason for this.

Do you remember 'Cash for clunkers' back in 2009?  Well in 2009 we had an old Chrysler Town and Country mini-van that got 17 miles to the gallon.  It was old and we really didn't need a mini-van at that point of our life anymore.  Sarah was a junior in college and Eric was driving so we decided to trade in the 'clunker' for a new car.  Our car made us eligible for a $4,500 credit so we got the new car for about $8,000.00.  We made a deal with Sarah where we would make the first two years of payments on the car and she would make the last two years of payments.  Pretty nice deal for Sarah. So Sarah got a cute little Nissan Sentra.

When she decided to head off to the peace corps she really wanted to keep her Nissan.  It was only 2 years old and in great condition and she really liked it.  So we decided that I would sell my Volkswagon and drive her Nissan Sentra for 2 years, then we'd sell it to her at the end of her time overseas for the fair market value.

Well, the two years are up, Sarah is heading home in Mid-December soooo, Mom gets a new car!!!

I had a funny experience while shopping.  I did lots of on-line shopping using Cars.com and found a dealership that had a ton of inventory on the Mazda3.  I randomly picked one of the cars they had in stock and sent an e-mail inquiry on it.    So I make an appointment at the dealer to see the car and headed into Quincy (40 minutes away) to check out the car.  I arrive at the dealership on a rainy day and go inside and meet young Stu.  He was a nice kid, barely 24 and new on the job.  He says we have your car you want to try right out front.  It's a manual transmission, Do you know how to drive a stick shift?  Well, that was an easy answer, yes - I do know how to drive a stick.  So he says so are you ready for the test drive?  And without thinking too much, I say 'sure.'  Well, what he didn't ask me was when the last time it was that I drove a stick shift and now that I think about it, it was 25 years ago!

So, I get into the drivers seat and try to familiarize myself with the logistics of a manual transmission.   Like riding a bike right?  Only did I mention it was raining and I was in a city I've never been to before, in a brand new car I've never driven before?  Well, Stu was a fun guy.  We only stalled twice and it was only a bit hairy when the Quincy police car was behind me, but again, we survived.  I like to think I am keeping my brain cells young trying new things.

I loved the car and made my dear husband go back to the dealership the next day to look (and drive) the automatic version.  They had quite a few 2013's in stock and therefore had some really good prices so we bought the car and today I get to pick it up.


Thanks for visiting today. I hope you have a great day.
I think I'm going to love it.  It has all the bells and whistles - blue tooth - heated leather seats - moon roof.  I hope I like it because I'll probably drive it for 6 plus years!


1 comment:

wrapknot said...

oh my gosh linda, i'm laughing out loud at your story! until my latest car (which the eldest now drives) we have only bought standard transmission cars. since i'm driving the oldest car in the driveway, i'm back to driving standard. well..... several weeks ago, noralee and i had to switch cars. it was a quick, spur of the moment thing and i never gave it a thought. neither did she until she found herself in the drivers seat with someplace to go. she got the hang of it- like riding the bike it did come back- and we both had a laugh at our 'driving history'. dad always told us we had to know how to drive whatever was out there.
enjoy those new wheels ;)