Sunday, June 22, 2014

The start of summer, a patriotic card and a birthday card

Good morning,

Yesterday was the first day of summer. We had a beautiful day here in New England, it was sunny, warm and dry.  The best part?  We had nothing to do!  Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean we did nothing, but it was one of those great kind of days where there was no specific schedule, no immediate deadline and my dear husband home with me.  So what did we do?  Well, we went for a run on the trail by the charles river, then I went to Stop and Shop and used all my 'grand re-opening' coupons and got like 8 bags of groceries for $48.00 (SCORE!), did some laundry, sat outside and had lunch, watered my flowers, marvelled at my soon to bloom cosmo's stem that I grew from SEED, picked some weeds, mopped the floor, cleaned my closet, made two cards and then enjoyed dinner at the Mexican Restaurant.  Ah, isn't it great being old and enjoying a simple day like this?

Anyway, I have two cards to share with you.

First up is a patriotic card using DeNami's chickie.  I have no idea who I'll send this too, but I just wanted to make a patriotic card with this image and my red/white and blue supplies.
Next up is a birthday card using DeNami's gardening chickie.  I thought my gardening chickie needed some fun and modern grey gingham to go with her green grass and button.  Notice the shiny watering can and shovel?  I get that shiny effect by adding glue after coloring, it makes a great shiny effect.  I also added some distressed green stickles to the grass.  I'm not sure if that's a great effect but I wanted to try it to see.
Lastly, with the hubbub of the wedding I don't think I ever mentioned on my blog that my Peace Corps stories - published here on THIS blog over the last 3 years - got picked up by the nationwide Peace Corp communications team.  They edited my content (it was way too long for one blog entry on their site) and published my story.

I actually liked the way it turned out, which doesn't always happen when someone takes a big story you wrote and summarizes it into a teeny, tiny article, but I thought they captured the thoughts I was feeling and communicating pretty well.

Want to read it?  Here is the link

http://passport.peacecorps.gov/2014/05/09/letting-go-of-fear-and-doubt-as-a-pc-mom/

I enjoyed reading people's comments on it, especially the one mom who thanked me for sharing my story since her child is just starting service in Zambia.  I also loved the 60 year old grandmother who encouraged me to consider service as well!  It really is nice to communicate with others when we face new situations.

Well, it's another gorgeous summer day here in New England, I'm off to water my flowers, check on my Cosmo stems and enjoy the day.

No comments: