Thursday, October 9, 2014

What do you do with your cards?

Hi all,

The obvious answer to the above question is 'send them to people.'  But do you fall into the same trap as I do?  It may take me an hour (or more) to make a card.  And then after it's made, I find I don't have the 10 minutes it takes to write the note inside, get the envelope, write out the address, put a stamp on it and actually mail it.

This year has been the worst.  I've made oh so many cards intended for people only to have them hanging around my card inventory.

I MUST learn to finish strong and not abandon the effort 2/3rds of the way through!

And today is the day to follow-through!

The card below was made for my mom.  She and her husband have been living in Europe since July. They have property in France and England and took a few months to live there.  In July and August they were enjoying sunshine in France.  Later in August they went to U.K. and have been there since.

My mother loves real mail and kindly requested we stay in touch that way.  She's sent me several letters and postcards.  Moi?  I send e-mails pretty regularly but as for the real mail - not so much.  I sent one postcard from Germany and nothing else.  But this card, yes, this card - IS going to make it in the mail.  I just know it.


As for the notes and e-mails she's been sending me, well, we are just amazed at how much energy, adventure and flexibility she has.  My mom is 77 years old, but you'd never know it to see her pictures or hear her stories.

One e-mail we got from her had the following words all in the same paragraph 'no hotels', 'asked a farmer to sleep in his pasture', 'glad the tent was waterproof' '5am', 'mama pig and her piglets' and 'mice and rats' and 'enjoying ourselves.'

Can you believe it?  If my paragraph had two of those phrases in it, it would also have the phrase 'get me the HECK out of here and NOW!'  She isn't phased by any of it.  

She seems to really be enjoying the time there.  They have friends and family that live in Europe so they've enjoyed visiting them (and having them visit at their place.)  She is making jam and gin (yes, gin), painting, making music and trying to stay warm.  France was beautiful in the summer, but once they got to U.K. they found cooler, damper weather.

I think they will be staying in their property in U.K. until late November.  Then they will go back to France to harvest olives from their olive farm before heading home (to Maine) in time for Christmas.

The property they own in U.K. is a small 4 room row-house with a thatched roof.

Below is an example of the kind of place they have.


And here is my mom enjoying the beautiful English countryside.




Well, I need to go and get that envelope and stamp and ACTUALLY MAIL THIS CARD!   Oh and do you recognize this sketch?  this too is using Karen Giron's Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge!


Karen Giron

Thanks for visiting my blog.  Make it a great day.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Well, I hope your beautiful card is winging its way to your mother. It really sounds like she is loving life, and that is such a huge blessing, as I'm sure you know.

wrapknot said...

your post inspired me to sort throught the card stash and send one. i have a very dear fiber friend who is immersed in end of life care for her mother, and dealing with family tensions during this trying time. i had a lovely trader joe's card out, but put it back. i realized that i have a box of hand-stamped cards that could send my thoughts along with an extra boost of love. i popped one in the mail today.

Bernadette Bliss said...

Oh, how I relate to this Linda! I just made a card last week especially for a friend who is recovering from surgery. Where is it sitting? Not on some nice mail truck, but on my work desk!