Thursday, May 7, 2015

Trash Day Treasures (and a fun graduation card)

Hi friends,

First, let me share my darling graduation card with you.  I went to a stamp camp last Friday.  It's a place in my neighborhood where a Stampin up demonstrator invites us to her home and we pay $15.00 and make 3 cards.  It's a fun social event and I love not having to prepare anything.


So how do you feel about trash day? My husband LOVES trash day.  He also loves going to the dump.  Why?  Because when we no longer want something, it is very satisfying to remove it completely from the house and premises.  It's such a good habit to get into.  In the past, when something broke or was no longer used, we would transfer the item to a closet, attic, garage or shed.  having moved a few times, I can tell you it is a huge hassle to have to deal with all the 'built-up' stuff in an attic!

So we now are much more disciplined about moving it out to the trash.  Here in our city condo in Waltham, trash day is not just trash day, it's also treasure day.  It's very common for me to put something out on the curb and within a matter of an hour, it's taken. Not by the trash collectors but by neighbors and others who are on the lookout for things.

My dear husband is absolutely mortified that I've joined with them.  For the last few weeks, he's groaned as I come back from my dog walk Thursday mornings and hop in my car.  He knows I'm not running to the convenience store for milk at 7:00am.  He knows there is a 'trash day treasure' that I'll be bringing home.

And I've gotten some great finds.  Today I brought home 3 partially full bags of potting soil.  Organic potting soil at that.  I can totally use that in my patio pots this year.  Last week, I found 3 bar stools.


The paint is kind of worn, but they are nice stools - like the kind you'd see in Pottery Barn. My dear husband reminds me we having nothing bar stool height, BUT, I found this great idea on pinterest and will be converting these bar stools into a craft desk for the cabin.


What else have I found?  Well, one day (around Easter) I found a cool looking rustic creche.  It has some damage, but I loved the look of it and have big plans for renovating it for Christmas next year.


Just the other day I got some outdoor cushions from my next door neighbor.  I didn't actually pull them from the track, I had been talking to her over the weekend and she was sharing with me about how her outdoor cushions had mildew on them and she got new ones.  I boldly asked for the old ones and have done some google research on removing mildew.  It's a fair amount of work, but very possible.  See below for that FIND.


And what about my first statement - getting rid of things we don't use?  Well, no worries.  I figure if my projects don't work out and I don't need these things - I'll just put them out with my trash some Thursday morning and one of my neighbors (or garage sale junkies who troll the neighborhood) will come by and snag them up.  If no-one else takes them, they go to the town dump (same place they were originally headed.)

Do I feel bad about taking my neighbors trash?  Well, I do a little bit, but not for the reasons you would suspect.  The only reason I feel bad is because I have the financial resources to buy things new and I sometimes feel guilty that I may be taking the good stuff from my neighbors trash and maybe instead I should be leaving it for those people who drive around in pickup trucks (or walk around with shopping carts) looking for stuff.  I believe there is a whole industry of taking used stuff from the trash, renovating it and selling it for a profit.  It's actually an age old concept that is spoken about in the bible.

The biblical concept is called Gleaning and it is listed in Leviticus 23:22

"When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and for the foreigner residing among you. I am the LORD your God."

Below is what Wickipedia says about gleaning

Gleaning (formerly 'leasing') is the act of collecting leftover crops from farmers' fields after they have been commercially harvested or on fields where it is not economically profitable to harvest. Some ancient cultures promoted gleaning as an early form of a welfare system.[1]

Old Testament[edit]

According to the Holiness Code and the Deuteronomic Code of the Torahfarmers should leave the corners of their fields unharvested, and they should not attempt to pick up that which was dropped or harvest any left-overs that had been forgotten when they had harvested the majority of a field.[2][3][4] On one of the two occasions that this is mentioned by the Holiness Code, it adds that, in vineyards, some grapes should be left ungathered,[5] an argument made also by the Deuteronomic Code.[6]
So  I don't feel bad about going through my neighbors trash because I think it's 'trashy.'  Nor do I feel bad about it because of what others might think of me.  The only reason I may feel bad is because I feel maybe I should leave this for the 'Gleaners.'  But to counter this, I very often put nice things out on the curb, I always donate unused stuff to charity (rarely if never try to sell it for a profit) and put aside some of our income each week, month and year to give to worthwhile charities.
So, what do you think about trash day treasures?  Would you take something from the curb in front of your neighbors house that was put out as trash?  Should I stop taking things to leave for the poor?  Are you wondering if I'll ever get around to making any my projects with my trash?
Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for visiting my blog today.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Cute card, but I especially like the post about trash day... LOVE the idea for a craft table made with those bar stools! And yes, I think you'll get it made.

I used to love repurposing items but I just have no more room for new stuff...