Thursday, October 29, 2015

Alpaca my scarf - Lawn Fawn

Hi friends,

Today is a totally crafty post.  Like many of you, I follow several crafter blogs and love getting ideas for fun card projects.  Back in September I saw a few really fun cards people made using a Lawn Fawn stamp set called Alpaca Love.  The stamp was so popular that Lawn Fawn sold out, but I added my name to the waiting list.  Last week, I got the e-mail that it was back in stock and in an impulse buy moment I ordered the stamp and die.  It was easy to justify since the stamp and die with shipping was only $12.00.

So, my stamp and die arrived and I started playing around with the set.  I saw a really fun card by Kelly Latevola.  I liked her card because she had the two alpaca's facing each other.  As I sat at my craft desk playing with the die and stamp I was baffled, how in the world did she get the alpacas to face each other.  I had only one stamp and the face faced to the right.

So I made my first card having the alpacas side by side.  But I didn't really love that card.  First, the flower soft I used was too thick.  Second, I liked the idea of the Alpaca's facing each other way better. I went to sleep pondering the dilemma.

And the next day it came to me.  I was watching a video from PTI on a new technique for adding pearl shimmer to a card and they were using VELLUM as a mask.  Vellum!  That's the answer to my dilemma.  So the next chance I got I headed up to the craft room and got busy.

This time I used flocking on the animals (much less bulky and still fluffy and textured.)  I did the die cut on vellum and flipped one Alpaca around.  At first I just had the vellum die cut Alpaca's attached directly to the card, but they looked too white and harsh.  So I modified it by adhering the vellum Alpaca's onto cream cardstock die cuts to soften the image.  I also bumped them out with dimensional adhesive.

VOILA.

My card.  I wanted to be sure that it looked like a girl and boy Alpaca so I added eyelashes & a bow to my female alapaca.  Aren't they the cutest thing?

Oh and I loved buying from Lawn Fawn.  My package arrived 1 day earlier than expected and inside was my order PLUS a few extras.  They sent me these cute little snowflakes, some twine, a few sheets of patterned paper and a hand written thank you on the business card.  Classy.  I'll be happy to shop with them again.





and in case you want to see revision 1 (before I made the changes) here it is below.  This one doesn't include the snowflakes (a nice little extra) and can you see how different the whites are on the alpacas?  It's not a big difference, but the little things make it even more special.


Below is Kelly's card that inspired me, and a link to her blog.



http://disp6194-kellyscraps.blogspot.com/2015/09/alpacas-in-love.html


I will continue to play with this set and hopefully post some more cards as the weather gets colder.

Thanks for visiting today.  Make it a great day.

No comments: